Translate

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Kimball and Bean- A Delightful Outing














For the past four years, my friend Jill and I have continued our day after Thanksgiving tradition. As we both worked for major department stores for most of our adult lives, the last thing that we want to do is go shopping at the malls on the so called "Black Friday". So instead, we meet at Starbucks at 8:30 am and drive about an hour west of here. One of my favorite independent stores has a day after Thanksgiving open house that really puts you in the Christmas spirit. Kimball and Bean is an antique lovers dream staged in an old red barn. While garden elements are their main emphasis, vintage ornaments, fresh greens, handmade Santas and stockings abound, along with a delicious offering of appetizers, wine and desserts. We never fail to bring home special finds - this year a pheasant platter and serving dishes. I even found Jill's Christmas present for this year, a set of antique pewter tall water glasses with her initial engraved on them! Yes, I was so excited that I had to show them to her immediately- so no big surprise for her this year! I love the pewter stag with the small baskets. He will make a great centerpiece when his little baskets are filled with fresh greens and pepper berries. A complete set of antique pewter chargers was found, something that has been on my list for years to go with transferware. Jill bought a beautiful hinged silver serving piece to use as a centerpiece on her table, along with a gorgeous silver champagne bucket. Special artists were there with painted bowls, artisan chocolates, jeweled boxes, and handmade stockings. The stockings were spectacular - I'll save the details about them for tomorrow.








































2 comments:

frenchbourne said...

Those plates are beautiful, the colors are gorgeous. I agree, Kimball and Bean is a great start to kick off the season after Thanksgiving. That has also been my tradition for some years now. My new favorite tradition now is Romancing the Home open house. Even though it always is full of inspiration, there is no other place that does the holidays so well....and I've looked. :-) That is where the holiday season starts for me!!!

ps. finally figured out how to leave comment, so easy

Elizabeth,s Cottage said...

I am so jealous! I might just have to fly out there next year! LOVE the pewter deer!!